Shortly after his return to France in the early 1950s, Marc Chagall embarked on the creation of a great painted cycle, which he called the Biblical Message. He intended it initially for the Chapel of Calvary in Vence, where he now resides.
He is thus in the tradition of Matisse, whose construction of the Chapel of the Rosary, a total work inaugurated in 1951, and of Picasso, who has displayed his art in the Romanesque chapel of the priory of Vallauris, has been closely followed. monumental work War and Peace, 1952.
The Chagall project for the chapel of Vence is transformed, however, into that of a museum, built in Nice. This place becomes the first national museum dedicated to a living artist. Based on unpublished archives presented against the fragile sketches that constituted the first fruits of the magisterial cycle of the Biblical Message, the exhibition traces the adventure of a creation that continues to amaze visitors to the Marc Chagall museum.
General Commission: Anne Dopffer, General Curator of Heritage, Director of 20th century National Museums of the Alpes-Maritimes
Curator: Johanne Lindskog, Curator of Heritage, Marc Chagall National Museum.
Av Docteur Ménard- (Angle Bd. de Cimiez) - 06000 NICE
Tel: +33(0)4 93 53 87 20
- Nice hills
- North Nice